Before getting into how referral hiring programs work, let's first talk about their goals:
- To hire great people efficiently
- To engage and retain your current and new employees
Now that we have goals established, we want to design the easiest way to achieve them. We've found the following three components to be the most important elements of a successful referral program:
- Make it easy for employees
- Use simple, altrustic incentives
- Write great, short emails
This is the way great tech companies like Facebook and Google do it — they’ve cut out the unnecessary fluffy benefits, and identified the core need: an efficient way to recruit the best candidates.